Regulations and forms
- PhD Actions and Timeline: In this document, you can find an overview of all (administrative) actions that need to be performed within the PhD programme. PhD students are advised to keep track of the timeline themselves.
- Guidelines PhD Training and Supervision plan (TSP): A 4-year PhD student should acquire 30 ECs. All guidelines with respect the AIMMS PhD Training and Supervision plan can be found in this document.
- Form PhD Training and Supervision plan (TSP): Within 3 months of the PhD start date, the TSP plan should be filled in. For more information, please read the guidelines above.
Supervision and external advisor
PhDs appointed within AIMMS are supervised by at least one supervisor, preferably two. The daily supervision will be the responsibility of the direct supervisor, who is one of the staff members of the AIMMS division. This can be the promotor or one of the associate/assistant professors. In addition, you will need an external advisor, who will meet with the candidate and his/her promotor at least once during the PhD trajectory. This advisor should be from outside the research section, but can be from within the department or other departments within AIMMS. This external advisor will help keep track of the progress and can ensure that the thesis is sufficient to comply with standards in the field. Details should be given at section 9 of the TSP (‘miscellaneous’).
A 4-year PhD students should acquire 30 ECs. Points can be awarded by means of different activities. An overview of all activities can be found in the Guidelines PhD Training and Supervision plan (see above).
Among these activities are courses. An overview of available courses can be found below:
- Scientific integrity course: All PhD candidates that started after 1 April 2015 are required to take a course on scientific integrity. You will be invited to join this course after your form I and TSP have been approved by the Dean. Please contact Maaike Croes in case of questions regarding the scientific integrity course.
- AIMMS courses: AIMMS organizes courses within the framework of the AIMMS post-graduate school. The main target audience for these courses are post-docs and PhD students. The thinking level of the courses is on Master’s level: AIMMS assumes a thinking level of graduates in science and life sciences, but without detailed knowledge of the particular subject. The post-graduate school courses are initially developed for post-docs and PhD students within AIMMS. External researchers are also welcome to our courses!
- External courses: PhD students and post-docs within AIMMS also have the possibility to attend courses organized by external institutes and networks.